[CP2K-user] [CP2K:19903] Geometric optimization hangs with no error.

Max Nishibuchi max at quantumventura.com
Wed Feb 14 16:17:30 UTC 2024

Hi guys,

I'm new to CP2K but not new to DFT methods in general. I have been trying
to perform a basic geometry optimization on a styrene molecule and am
finding that the simulation will run for several optimization steps, but it
never finishes.

The geometry optimization will simply hang in the middle of the
optimization with no input error provided regardless of the PRINT_LEVEL
parameter I set. I've included the input file here. If it makes any
difference, I am running this using the CUDA docker image (v2023.1) on an
H100. I don't believe that this is an OOM error, as memory usage during the
optimization on both the GPU and CPU is far, far below their maximum
capacities.

Is there anything I can use besides PRINT_LEVEL to diagnose what is causing
my simulations to hang?