[CP2K-user] [CP2K:19895] Re: Problem with the calculation of the CUBE file and Wannier Centres using the ROKS method?

Ilya Fedorov ilyafedorov19 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 12 16:09:43 UTC 2024

Dear Matthias,

I apologise for such a long reply. The problem turned out to be not so
simple.

At this moment it seems that ROKS does not work properly in CP2K.

An oxygen molecule turned out to be a poor example to use with ROKS. I just
copied it from an existing regtest for ROKS, but CPMD and CP2K gave the S1
energies lower than the S0 energies.

A better example would be a formaldehyde molecule or a hydrogen molecule.The
advantages of formaldehyde are that it has SOMO-1 and SOMO-2 separated in
space, which, as will be discussed below, allows for better manifestation of the
differences between CP2K and CPMD could be traced. I used a formaldehyde
example from the original ROKS paper [Frank, I., Hutter, J., Marx, D., &
Parrinello, M. (1998). JPC, 108, 4060].

*Here are the main observations:*

   1. The excitation energy E(S1) - E(S0) *in both CPMD and CP2K packages
   is about 3.5 eV*, which is in agreement with the paper of Frank et al.
   2. The *Wannier centres* of all orbitals are almost the *same* between
   CPMD and CP2K (see Picture 1), but their *order is different*. This is
   important for SOMO-1 and SOMO-2, since we have the rotations turned off for
   these orbitals and their centres should have coincided.
   3. *The most important difference* is in the visualisation of the
   orbitals. In the attached pdf-file (S0_S1_CP2K_CPMD.pdf) I visualise the
   orbitals for the ground state S0 and of the excited state S1. The
   isosurfaces are shown in red (+0.07) and in blue (-0.07). You can see that
   for the ground state the orbitals from CPMD and from CP2K coincide. For the
   excited state CPMD shows some change of order (with respect to S0) and the
   general picture remains close (*the resemblance HOMO ~ SOMO-1 takes
   place*). *But for the S1 state in CP2K all orbitals look different,
   except last two (SOMO-1 and SOMO-2)*, and the last two orbitals seem to
   have switched places (*the resemblance HOMO ~ SOMO-2 takes place*) (the
   same pattern as with Wannier centres.).

I attach the codes for calculating the S0 and S1 states in CPMD and CP2K
for formaldehyde.

   - The standard cpmd2cube.x script (
   https://github.com/CPMD-code/Addons/tree/main/cpmd2cube) should be used
   to convert the CPMD orbitals to .cube files (cmd: ./cpmd2cube.x
   WAVEFUNCTION.*)
   - To calculate Wannier centres in CPMD, a separate code
   (cpmd_s1_wannier.inp) should be used which takes 1 MD step, this is because
   a separate case of calculating Wannier centres for ROKS is only implemented
   in MD. At the same time, in CPMD the calculation of Wannier centres itself
   affects the final output of orbitals

Best regards,

Ilya

P.S.
Although the energies of SOMO-1 and SOMO-2 judging by dE ~3.5 eV should be
significantly different and could not simply get mixed up. In addition, it
is worth noting that despite the complete difference in orbitals 1-5 in
CP2K and CPMD, the final Wannier centres are the same, so we can talk about
the influence of the difference of the basis or something else?

Could it be that the OT method does not handle single occupied orbitals
correctly or the ROKS method in CP2K does not handle double occupied
orbitals correctly? Because in the case of CPMD we see that the shape of
the double occupied orbitals has not changed, the order has changed and one
new SOMO-2 orbital has been added. In CP2K, the new single occupied
orbitals look correct, but the double occupied ones have coordinately
changed in ROKS.

вторник, 21 ноября 2023 г. в 13:27:51 UTC+3, Ilya Fedorov: