[CP2K-user] [CP2K:20149] Re: XAS Calculation

Marcella Iannuzzi marci.akira at gmail.com
Tue Apr 30 07:48:17 UTC 2024

Hello Gerard,

There are several problems in the simulation you are running.
First of all, for Fe an all electron potential is indicated, but a basis
set for the valence electron only is used. This is not going to work.
The ground state electronic structure calculation is, not surprisingly,
converging very badly.
Not knowing the properties of your system, it is difficult to judge, what
the optimal settings would be, in terms of PP, basis set, cutoff, spin
polarization, etc
I suggest that for the PP description you use POTENTIAL_UZH and
BASIS_MOLOPT_UZH libraries. For the ALL electron description check you can
take from the EMSL_BASIS_SET or check in the literature what is suggested
for K-edge spectra of transition metals.
It is possible that also for the ground state one should use
diagonalization and smearing to properly converge the SCF.
For the TP method to obtain XAS it is not possible to use OT because the
occupation number of the excited core state is modified, meaning that the
diagonalization approach has to be used. Sometime G-space mixing and
smearing help the convergence.
Consider also the possibility to compute XAS with XAS_TDP.

Regards
Marcella