[CP2K-user] [CP2K:20106] Dipole correction for solvated slab

Léon Luntadila Lufungula Leon.luntadilalufungula at uantwerpen.be
Mon Apr 15 08:54:21 UTC 2024

Dear all,

I'm looking for an answer to a simple (and probably stupid) question.

I know that you need to set  up a dipole correction when modeling a slab in
vacuum with 3D periodic boundary conditions, but I was wondering if this is
also necessary when the vacuum is filled with solvent molecules? From what
I understand, the dipole correction is performed in the vacuum region and
results in a flat profile of the electrostatic potential plot inside the
vacuum region (apart from the region where the correction is applied) as
you would expect for such a plot in the vacuum region. So a dipole
correction seems incorrect adn ill-defined in a system without vacuum,
however, I have heard from several people that they do apply a dipole
correction even in a solvated system... Perhaps they used a different type
of solvated system where there is still a vacuum region present (i.e., a
vacuum-solvent-slab-solvent-vacuum box)?

Kind regards,
Léon