[CP2K-user] [CP2K:19377] Optimizing with TIP3P a water cluster model

'Vittorio Bariosco' via cp2k cp2k at googlegroups.com
Tue Oct 17 15:17:29 UTC 2023

Dear CP2K users,

I have been through different threads on this forum to understand how to
optimize a cluster of 600 hundred atoms (see 0_tip3p_geom.xyz) with TIP3P
model.

1)I firstly tried this input taken from the FIST repository on GitHub here
<https://github.com/cp2k/cp2k/blob/master/tests/Fist/regtest-4/H2O-1.inp>
(see first_tip3p.inp) but I was always getting this error after the
Optimization starts:
"WARNING| Particles:     600    598 at distance [au]:     1.82837959 less
than:      2.00430963; increase EMAX_SPLINE.
GEOMETRY wrong or EMAX_SPLINE too small!"

2)The I moved to the other input reported in the same repository at this
link
<https://github.com/cp2k/cp2k/blob/master/tests/Fist/regtest-4/H2O-32_SPME_fp.inp.>
, where more water molecules were included in the initial geometry. In this
case (see second_tip3p.inp),  the optimization starts but at a certain
point it crashes again with a similar error:

"WARNING| Particles:     600    598 at distance [au]:     0.89796367 less
than:      0.95400000; increase EMAX_SPLINE."

GEOMETRY wrong or EMAX_SPLINE too small!

At this point I am a little confused on how to proceed. I remembered that
tip3p is a rigid FF and I started to look for constraining options for
intramolecular distances and angles. I found in the same input of the above
the section &CONSTRAINT &G3X3.

3) Thus, I defined the new input using this constrain that could probably
explains the reason why CP2K was crushing before in this way (see
third_tip3p.inp). However, also this test was unsuccessful with the
following error:

"    |  Error in constraints setup!

    |  A constraint has been defined for a molecule type

    |   but the atoms specified in the constraint and the atoms defined for

    |   the molecule DO NOT match!

    |  This could be very probable due to a wrong connectivity, or an error

    |   in the constraint specification in the input file.

    |   Please check it carefully!"

Moreover, I also found in another thread here
<https://groups.google.com/g/cp2k/c/ld5pmmYUnBk/m/iZte7XZGBwAJ>, that the
specified constrained keyword works only for MD runs and not for GEO_OPT or
CELL_OPT.

At the moment I don't have any clue in how to proceed to obtain a optimized
geometry with tip3p model. For this reason I would like to ask if anybody
have ever optimized with tip3p model, or can help me for setting the proper
input.

Hope to hear from you.

Kindly,

Vittorio