[CP2K-user] [CP2K:19296] Band gap-HSE06-UiO-66

Jürg Hutter hutter at chem.uzh.ch
Wed Oct 4 06:46:51 UTC 2023

Hi

I assume the difference is due to basis sets. Plane waves usually describe conduction band states better than localized orbitals. So increase the primary basis.

Important:
if you are using a new version of CP2K, you should not set EPS_PGF_ORB.

-> https://www.cp2k.org/faq:hfx_eps_warning
Since version 2023.2 The occupancy of the Kohn-Sham matrix depends on whether atomic pairs are neighbours. Two atoms are considered neighbours if their basis functions (Gaussians) are overlapping, which is controlled through the EPS_PFG_ORB keyword. In large cells, the KS matrix can be sparse because atomic pairs can be further apart. Setting the MIN_PAIR_LIST_RADIUS to -1 makes sure all atomic pairs within the unit cell are considered neighbours, therefore ensuring a full KS matrix. This is considerably more efficient than reducing EPS_PFG_ORB to unreasonably small numbers.

regards
JH