[CP2K-user] [CP2K:19290] Re: How to compute and output the dipole of the whole system during AIMD simulations?

Matt Watkins mattwatkinsuk at gmail.com
Wed Oct 4 05:47:36 UTC 2023

The moments keyword gives the dipole moment of the whole system (which you
seem to ask for). If your system if periodic you need to allow for that
with the periodic keyword - dipole moments in a periodic system are only
defined up to a point - consider drawing a box with two charges in it then
shifting the box boundaries. There are many papers on this in the
literature.

The localise keyword converts the density into a Wannier representation
centred on atoms from the original distributed density. These wannier
centres can then be used to recalculate the dipole of the whole system or
by grouping the wannier centres that correspond to molecules (as defined in
a similar way to a forcefield calculation) molecular dipoles can be
calculated. See PL Silvestrelli, M Parrinello - Physical Review Letters,
1999 - APS for instance.

Matt