[CP2K-user] [CP2K:19498] Switching from GPW to GAPW

Léon Luntadila Lufungula Leon.luntadilalufungula at uantwerpen.be
Tue Nov 14 11:04:06 UTC 2023

Dear Prof. Hutter,

Thanks for pointing me into the right direction!

Unfortunately, the defaults are not sufficient for my system as I am
getting rather large values for the lines you suggested to check:

(Inner SCF loop 1)
  Total charge density (r-space):                      0.0000427891
  Total Rho_soft + Rho0_soft (g-space):         0.0001310539
(Inner SCF loop 2)
  Total charge density (r-space):                      0.0000494000
  Total Rho_soft + Rho0_soft (g-space):         0.0001376711

I have attached my input file and the short part that was written to the
output if you would like to see it in more detail. My system consists of a
TiO2 [anatase (101)] slab with organic molecules adsorbed onto the surface,
so I suspect that it might be the Ti atoms for which the defaults are
insufficient.

I have been looking into GAPW in the regtests, documentation and forum over
the last couple of days and from what I understand, the most important
parameters to change should be the following:
(FORCE_EVAL / SUBSYS / KIND)

   - *LEBEDEV_GRID*: I'm a bit unsure how to get a correct value for this
   parameter for each atom kind. Does this involve a convergence test for each
   atom type individually or is there some rule of thumb?
   - *RADIAL_GRID*: same as for LEBEDEV_GRID.

(FORCE_EVAL /DFT / QS)

   - *EPS_DEFAULT*: This one is already at 1.0E-12, should I reduce it
   further?
   - *EPS_FIT*: The default is 1.0E-4, but I've read in another post in a reply
   from M. Krack
   <https://groups.google.com/g/cp2k/c/FUvjXq9RvWY/m/8VwHvHGUAgAJ> that it
   is too large for most systems and should be reduced to 1.0E-6. Should I
   reduce it in my case?
   - *EPS_ISO*: I've seen it mentioned a couple of times, but never if the
   value should be reduced or what to do with it exactly.
   - *EPS_RHO0*: According to the reply of M. Krack
   <https://groups.google.com/g/cp2k/c/FUvjXq9RvWY/m/8VwHvHGUAgAJ> smaller
   values than the default give better accuracy.

(FORCE_EVAL / DFT / MGRID)

   - *CUTOFF*: This is generally lower than for a GPW calculation as I
   understand it but I guess I should perform a convergence test to choose an
   appropriate value. Alternatively, I could also multiply the relative cutoff
   by the maximum exponent in the soft basis set (PRINT_LEVEL MEDIUM to get
   the values right?) as you and Marcella suggested in another post
   <https://groups.google.com/g/cp2k/c/JX8bDi_w478/m/okVfMy6EAQAJ>.
   - *REL_CUTOFF*: I'm a bit unsure about how to choose this as all the
   convergence schemes I've read about first converge the CUTOFF with a large
   REL_CUTOFF and then reduce the value of REL_CUTOFF to get the best balance
   between accuracy and efficiency, but as explained above, the rule of thumb
   for the cutoff uses the value of REL_CUTOFF to determine the CUTOFF...

Any suggestions on how to optimize these parameters would be greatly
appreciated!

I also have two other quick questions about your reply:

   1. I thought that GPW was used for pseudopotential calculations and GAPW
   was used for all electron calculations, but now you say that you can also
   do pseudopotential calculations with GAPW. Is there an advantage to using
   GAPW over GPW? I know that the disadvantage is that some features are not
   present for GAPW calculations, but is there a reason to use GPW if all your
   intended features are implemented for GAPW?
   2. The BASIS_MOLOPT_UZH file contains SVP,- TZVPP- and
   QZVPP-MOLOPT-GGA-ae basis sets. Is there also a double zeta all electron
   (MOLOPT) basis set somewhere I can use? I have always been told that single
   zetas are not intended for production runs, but I suspect that TZVPP is
   already quite computationally expensive for a pre-optimization.

My apologies for the barrage of questions, but I don't have anyone in my
group with experience in CP2K so it's hard sometimes to figure these things
out on my own...

Thanks in advance and for your previous reply!

Kind regards,
Léon