[CP2K-user] [CP2K:18577] Re: Problems about doing metadynamics of CO2 adsorption

Marcella Iannuzzi marci.akira at gmail.com
Wed Mar 22 09:22:26 UTC 2023

Dear Yibo Wang,

I cannot say whether the simulation is reasonable now.
If the initial forces obtained from a not converged electronic structure
calculation are very wrong, it is possible that the system ended up in an
unphysical structure from which it will never come back. Or maybe not.
Anyway, it would be for sure much better to run a stable MD with your new
system, before running metadynamics.
It is indeed very important to monitor the sampling of the configurational
space with an unbiased dynamics to be able to define useful collective
variables and to set the reasonable parameters.
In addition to that, I strongly suggest to also read review papers on
metadynamics before starting using it, such that you can decide which type
of approach is best suitable for your system.
For instance the lambda and mass parameters are only needed for a
lagrangian metadynamics. Are you sure that you are using this option? And
if yes, are you sure that this is the optimal choice for your needs?
You also have a wall in your definition. How can you set it before knowing
which is the unbiased behaviour of the collective variable?

Unfortunately metadynamics, as most of the methods in molecular
simulations, is not just a black box tool, you need to know very well what
you are doing to  avoid generating unreliable results.

Regards,
Marcella