[CP2K-user] [CP2K:18538] Re: Evaluation of basis functions over a grid and computation of overlap integrals

Aleksandros Sobczyk sobczykalek at gmail.com
Mon Mar 13 10:00:04 UTC 2023

Dear prof. Hutter and CP2K developers,

The example helped to figure out how to reproduce the overlap matrix for
our systems. We had to apply the following two steps:

1) For the basis sets, we had to use the normalized coefficients that are
found inside the output file of CP2K. The un-normalized coefficients from
the original BASIS_SET file did not work (as you suggested). For now, we
can directly use the CP2K output to derive these normalized coefficients
for our experiments, but it would be also helpful to know how to reproduce
them (i.e., what is the normalization procedure).

2) We also had to scale all the exponents of all the basis sets by a factor
of (1/0.529)^2 (to convert Angstrom to atomic units). This was an arbitrary
guess, but without it the overlaps do not match.

Could you confirm that this is the correct way to compute the orbital
overlaps? (and if not, propose the correct way).
It would also be helpful if these details can be documented, e.g. in this
page: https://www.cp2k.org/basis_sets

Best regards and thank you again for the feedback,
Aleksandros Sobczyk