[CP2K-user] [CP2K:18419] Inconsistent dipole moment from PRINT and total density cube file

Chiahsin Chu xmuchiahsin at gmail.com
Tue Feb 7 22:44:50 UTC 2023

Hello,

Question:

I tried to print the dipole moment of my system via the section
CP2K_INPUT/FORCE_EVAL/DFT/PRINT/MOMENTS
(https://manual.cp2k.org/trunk/CP2K_INPUT/FORCE_EVAL/DFT/PRINT/MOMENTS.html),
and got the result in the standard output file. However, this value does
not match the number I got from either 1) total charge density cube file
(multiply the grid and the charge density and then do the summation) or 2)
the jump in the Hartree potential profile (the jump here should be
proportional to the cell polarisation). The values from 1) and 2) are
identical, ignoring a small numerical error. I have made the unit
consistent. The z-component of dipole moment in the output file is ~10e3
Debye (i.e., ~10e2 eA), and the corresponding value from total charge
density cube file is ~1 eA.

My system:

There is a Pt slab covered by a thin water layer. Vacuum layers are added
on both sides of the system. The surface is parallel to XY plane, and the
dipole correction is added on the z direction.

My setup:

I turn the PERIODIC in the MOMENTS section off, since Berry phase moments
for non uniform MOs' occupation numbers not implemented.

The full input file, atomic coordinates and output file I used are
attached, for the sake of completeness.

Thanks,

Jiaxin