[CP2K-user] [CP2K:19680] normal mode analysis on an ab initio trajectory

Lucas Lodeiro elunicolomo at gmail.com
Fri Dec 22 00:14:51 UTC 2023

Hi Matthew,

To run the normal coordinate analysis you have to feed TRAVIS with the
trajectory file and the velocity file if you have it (this is just an
option to avoid numerical differentiation, which introduce some errors).
Running the normal coordinate analysis needs the same procedure as the
power spectra calculation. In the middle of run, TRAVIS ask you for a
reference structure: AFAIK this structure must be written in the same atom
order as is in  the AIMD  molecule atomic order, and the structure must be
optimized at the same level of theory. With it you can complete the
calculation. Some comments, if your molecule has many and pretty
different accessible conformers, this could be a problem. Also take into
account that hydrogen bonding active modes cannot be protected properly on
one molecule, because those are collective modes.

Also if you want to check from which molecule is the normal mode in the IR,
you can compute the power spectra for the whole system, and also for each
molecule type. This also can be done for the IR, so you can check which
molecule contributes to a given signal... but you cannot know how is that
normal mode, for that you need the normal coordinate analysis.

Regards - Lucas Lodeiro