[CP2K-user] [CP2K:19645] Finite temperature optimization

Thomas Kühne tkuehne at gmail.com
Mon Dec 11 16:44:18 UTC 2023

Dear Simone Ritarossi,

just 2 comments from my side.
(i) When using CELL_OPT/TYPE MD, a MD simulation is conducted to obtain the ensemble averaged stress tensor to conduct
your cell optimization. This is not only excessively expensive (in your case a 10000 step AIMD calculation is performed for each
cell optimization step!), but in my experience is also not effective due to the inherent fluctuations in the stress tensor, in particular
when using this in conjunction with a quasi-Newton optimizer such as BFGS that tolerates noise very poorly.
(ii) In the comment of your input file you write "Performs a geometry and cell optimization at the same time. The stress tensor is
computed at every step“. If this is what you want to do simply use TYPE DIRECT_CELL_OPT instead.

Greetings,
Thomas Kühne