[CP2K-user] [CP2K:19182] Transition state optimization with Dimer Method

luca bellucci lcbllcc at gmail.com
Tue Aug 8 08:52:14 UTC 2023

Dear Alex,

By default, dimer vectors are assigned randomly. However, if you
prefer, you can assign each vector with its related keyword as follows:
DIMER/DIMER_VECTOR

Currently, there are no tools available for ad-hoc generation, so you
need to evaluate and provide these vectors manually within the
DIMER_VECTOR section. Refer to a restart file for additional
information regarding the syntax.

Your experience is quite common. Selecting a single configuration from
metadynamics does not guarantee convergence, also when the chosen
configuration closely resembles the transition state (TS). As a
practice, I typically extract 5-6 conformations from a molecular
dynamics (MD) simulation and perform a brief minimization using
conjugate gradient (CG), usually with no more than 4/5 steps depending
on the system. Subsequently, I initiate a dimer search on all these
configurations or choose the most promising ones.

For more specific info, please provide the input file.

Best regards,

Luca