[CP2K-user] [CP2K:18725] Re: On the conceptual meaning of magnetic related directives

Sigma-Jun Lu jun.continent at gmail.com
Wed Apr 26 10:01:33 UTC 2023

As far as i can concern:
1)Regularly, if alpha/beta corresponds to spin polarizability, there should
be a relationshipf between charge/spin(specifically for each orbital, or
combination of them as a whole, the quantity to set total spin is
magnetization):
charge=-(alpha+beta)/2, magnetization=(alpha-beta)/2, or inversely
alpha=magnetization-charge, beta=-charge-magnetization.

2) Multiplicity, is a little bit complex concept. Normally, you can only
use 0~2 in cp2k--
0: not consider the spin contribution;
1: fixed FM state without flipping of spins;
2: consider two degree of freedom, up and down;
3 and above, only consider deeply magnetic interaction, rather than single
electrons, take 2 electrons for example, you might get one singlet plus a
set of triplets. * i have not seen any signal that cp2k can handle this
issue.

3) Perhaps you need add more MOs for proper smearing, usually, empty
orbitals does not dirty your calculation result of gap energy.

4) Use $BS instead with seperating atoms of spin up and down in your &coord
section, and forget multiplity and magnetization with a # symbol or
deleting the line. See page 35/36 in this document-
https://www.cp2k.org/_media/events:2015_cecam_tutorial:ling_hybrids.pdf .
Nevertheless, during the optimization process, you may not use $BS, but
magnetization, and foget #multiplicity.

hope these helps.

Sigma-Jun LU

在2021年5月5日星期三 UTC+8 15:29:17<ivansc... at gmail.com> 写道: