[CP2K-user] [CP2K:18682] DFTB calculations slower in development version cp2k

Roel Van de Ven roelvandeven17 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 19 14:47:34 UTC 2023

Dear all,

I was running some tests with the latest cp2k version as I wanted to try
out the new implementations for the dispersion within DFTB. During these
test I found out that the DFTB calculations in general were slower when
compared to the 9.1 version I typically use.
Some more testing showed that this was not a general issue, since regular
DFT (BLYP) and the semi-empirical PM6 method had no slowdown.
I did this testing on the same system and installed cp2k with the same flags
./install_cp2k_toolchain.sh --with-sirius=no --with-spla=no --with-elpa=no
--with-plumed=install

Additionally the input files are exactly the same. In the last tests I
added a line to change images to infinite as the default setting was
changed between the versions, but this had no impact as far as I know.
&DBCSR
     AVG_ELEMENTS_IMAGES -1
&END DBCSR

I looked a bit into the outputfile and the timings it gives and it seems
like the time loss is due to calls to rebuild_ks_matrix (and subsequently
to build_dftb_ks_matrix), but I have no idea what I can do about this. Does
anyone know what I can do? Or what is wrong?

here is a link to google drive with all the files I used to do the
calculations https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1rUq-CwZygGr1GYs9pdMvf98r9YRa0Xjg?usp=sharing
(both input and output)

Kind regards,
Roel v/d Ven