[CP2K-user] [CP2K:18659] SCF converge problem for Ceria

'Debmalya Ray' via cp2k cp2k at googlegroups.com
Thu Apr 13 02:47:13 UTC 2023

Ce is a tricky element with outer electronic configuration 4f1 5d1 6s2
which is open shell. On the other hand Ce(IV) is closed shell. So most
quantum chemistry codes struggle to converge for Ce for first few scf
cycles. In my experience running an unrestricted calculation (UKS) helps
the convergence. However, once first scf cycle is converged things become
simpler.

Best,
Debmalya