[CP2K-user] [CP2K:18658] Re: Ferromagnetic bulk nickel supercell optimization - multiplicity?

GENG YUAN yuangeng0821 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 12 21:28:34 UTC 2023

Hi Chris,

I am also testing the optimization of bulk Ni using your files, which are
very helpful materials for me. I found that the energy converged when I
directly used your input file without any changes (a 5x5x5 supercell with a
multiplicity of 1001), but when I changed the supercell from 5x5x5 to
others (e.g. 4x4x4, 256 atoms total) with a modified multiplicity (256*2 +1
= 513), the energy couldn't converge within 500 SCF steps. I am wondering
what may cause this issue, and if you could share some thoughts.

The only changes I made are the multiplicity and the multiple_unit_cell
settings, I attached my input and output files for your reference. Please
let me know if any concerns.

Many thanks in advance,
Sincerely,
Geng

在2022年9月26日星期一 UTC-4 12:17:34<uca... at ucl.ac.uk> 写道:

Hi Frank,

I attach files where I have converged a spin moment of 0.72 in 36 SCF steps
for your 5x5x5 supercell.

Indeed, Ni should be ferromagnetic and we can confirm this by converging a
solution with a multiplicity of 1 and comparing this to the ferromagnetic
solution with a multiplicity of 500*2+1=1001. The latter is
-84660.541395560532692--84661.817516270704800=1.3 Ha or 35 eV lower in
energy.

Hope this helps,
Chris