[CP2K-user] [CP2K:17749] Possible Memory Leak

Matthew Emerson mrson at uiowa.edu
Fri Sep 23 14:54:53 UTC 2022

Dear Dr. Matthias,

Sorry for the late response, I wanted to test these things carefully. Below
is what I have found.

All versions of CP2K that I have tested appear to still have a memory leak.
The issue is less severe on version 2022.1, but as you can see, in the
graph "CP2K-2022.1.png", the program keeps growing with time and our runs
are long.  For version 8.1, in graph "CP2K-8.1.png", the problem is much
more severe (on the same hardware - 56 MPI ranks).

My primary concern is with the correctness of the calculations. We can of
course restart the program, but how do I know that a code that looks like
it is leaking is not corrupting data. If you continue the run you started,
I predict it will continue growing in memory usage. I thank you for your
time.

Sincerely,
Matthew S. Emerson