[CP2K-user] [CP2K:17721] Possible Memory Leak

Matthew Emerson mrson at uiowa.edu
Tue Sep 20 21:21:07 UTC 2022

Dear CP2K Developers/Community,

I have attached an input file which I believe shows an example of a
possible memory leak in CP2K. It is a typical NVT DFT simulation of molten
MgCl2 with PBE-D3 dispersion corrections.

I have tried well-tested CP2K builds on our local cluster (v6.1, v8.1,
v2022.1), our university supercomputer (v6.1, v8.1), and even the
system-wide installations of CP2K on Cori at Oak Ridge National Lab (v8.1
and v9.1) and memory usage grows linear with time until either the node
locks up/dies from insufficient memory usage or the job dies from maximum
walltime (ORNL). I've done enough testing that I can almost tell how many
MD steps before the job will die for a given machine with X amount of RAM
and Y amount of MPI ranks.

 I normally wouldn’t email about things like this but I’ve tried multiple
combinations (w/unit-testing) of GCC, OpenMPI, OpenBLAS/MKL, etc. and
nothing seems to work. I am hoping this is simply an input file issue or my
own error.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Matthew S. Emerson
Margulis Research Group