[CP2K-user] [CP2K:17639] Re: Crystal optimization with periodic boundary conditions

Victor Nazarychev nazarychev at gmail.com
Fri Sep 9 06:55:25 UTC 2022

Dear users and developers of CP2K,

I tried starting the simulation of the crystal structure using cp2k. To do
that, I used an input file:

&GLOBAL
  PROJECT crys_pbc_opt
  RUN_TYPE GEO_OPT
  PRINT_LEVEL MEDIUM
  EXTENDED_FFT_LENGTHS .TRUE.
&END GLOBAL

&MOTION
&GEO_OPT

  ! KEEP_SPACE_GROUP .TRUE.
  OPTIMIZER LBFGS

&END GEO_OPT
&END MOTION

&FORCE_EVAL
  METHOD Quickstep              ! Electronic structure method (DFT,...)
  &DFT
    BASIS_SET_FILE_NAME  BASIS_MOLOPT
    POTENTIAL_FILE_NAME  POTENTIAL

    &POISSON                    ! Solver requested for non periodic
calculations
      PERIODIC XYZ
    &END POISSON
    &SCF                        ! Parameters controlling the convergence of
the scf. This section should not be changed.
      SCF_GUESS ATOMIC
      EPS_SCF 1.0E-6
      MAX_SCF 300
    &END SCF
    &XC                        ! Parameters needed to compute the
electronic exchange potential
      &XC_FUNCTIONAL PBE
      &END XC_FUNCTIONAL
    &END XC
  &END DFT

  &SUBSYS
    &CELL
      CELL_FILE_FORMAT CIF
      ABC 9.2568 140.3208 18.9674
      PERIODIC XYZ
    &END CELL
    &TOPOLOGY                    ! Section used to center the atomic
coordinates in the given box. Useful for big molecules
      COORD_FILE_FORMAT cif
      COORD_FILE_NAME  ./cell.cif
      ! &CENTER_COORDINATES
        ! CENTER_POINT 5. 5. 5.
      ! &END
    &END
    &KIND H
      ELEMENT H
      BASIS_SET DZVP-MOLOPT-GTH
      POTENTIAL GTH-PBE-q1
    &END KIND
    &KIND O
      ELEMENT O
      BASIS_SET DZVP-MOLOPT-GTH
      POTENTIAL GTH-PBE-q6
    &END KIND
    &KIND C
      ELEMENT C
      BASIS_SET DZVP-MOLOPT-GTH
      POTENTIAL GTH-PBE-q4
    &END KIND
    &KIND N
      ELEMENT N
      BASIS_SET DZVP-MOLOPT-GTH
      POTENTIAL GTH-PBE-q5
    &END KIND
  &END SUBSYS
&END FORCE_EVAL

The simulation starts, but only one step of SCF wavefunction optimization
is passed, and then the calculation stops without errors.

 Re-scaling the density matrix to get the right number of electrons
                  # Electrons              Trace(P)               Scaling
factor
                         8576              8575.456
 1.000

 SCF WAVEFUNCTION OPTIMIZATION

  Step     Update method      Time    Convergence         Total energy
 Change

     1 P_Mix/Diag. 0.40E+00 ******     1.37713667    -13502.7304100109
-1.35E+04

How do you think, what happens? How could I change the input file to solve
this problem?

Best regards,
Victor

суббота, 20 августа 2022 г. в 17:41:05 UTC+3, Victor Nazarychev: