[CP2K-user] [CP2K:17925] understanding BSSE print out

Victor Volkov volkovskr at gmail.com
Sat Oct 22 06:52:03 UTC 2022

Good morning Matthias:
here, is the result of BSSE application for the case when CP2K suggests a
relatively optimal adsorption
of a heterocycle molecule at interface.

After including BSSE, it is not too clear how to operate with the computed
numbers:
 -BSSE RESULTS                                -
-CP-corrected Total energy:     -455.120393
                                                  -
-1-body contribution:      -44.966343                  -
-1-body contribution:     -410.139056                  -
-2-body contribution:       -0.014995                  -
-BSSE-free interaction energy:       -0.014995

because if the BSSE free interaction is -0.014995 Hartree = -39.3693725
kJ/mol.

This is a huge number,
which is significantly larger that any typical binding
for single cycle aromatic molecules at carbonaceous materials.

Curiously,
the energies of binding by CP2K without BSSE agree with experimental
results relatively well.

Would the result (after BSSE inclusion) suggest that CP2K theory
is not yet fit to address the physics:
that a reasonable agreement without BSSE should be considered as a blind
coincidence,
and that CP2K would need further improvements?

Thank you for any comment.

In any way,
schönes wochenende.
:-)