[CP2K-user] [CP2K:18125] Minimum supercell size for periodic calculations

Eric Patterson eric.v.patterson at gmail.com
Wed Nov 30 23:16:37 UTC 2022

Hi all,

I am a complete beginner with CP2K and would like to perform CELL_OPT
followed by VIBRATIONAL_ANALYSIS on periodic solid molecular systems
(mostly organics). Are there general guidelines for how big a supercell
must be for results to be considered reliable, either in terms of absolute
dimensions or # of atoms/molecules?

By way of examples, if I study glycine, there are only two molecules in the
unit cell, which I assume is much too small. If I use a 2x2x2 supercell,
there are 16 molecules (160 atoms) and the cell dimensions are between 10
and 12 Angstroms in all dimensions. If I chose benzoic acid, the c vector
of the unit cell is already greater than 20 Angstrom, so I am considering a
2x2x1 supercell (16 molecules or 240 atoms, cell dimensions of 10 or 11
Angstroms in a and b, 21 in c). Are these reasonable choices?

I plan to use PBE with GPW, MOLOPT basis sets, and NLCC potentials if that
matters.

Any guidance is appreciated.

Thanks,
Eric