[CP2K-user] [CP2K:18105] Non-physical pressure behavior for non-local vdW functionals

Luke Gibson ldgibson819 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 28 15:19:15 UTC 2022

Dear developers and users,

We are looking at the equilibrium density for an AlCl3 molten salt melt by
measuring pressure values over 10 ps in NVT at a variety of volumes. We are
comparing the pressures for a variety of functionals with various vdW
corrections: PBE-D3, optB86b-vdW, optB88-vdW, SCAN-D3, and SCAN-RVV10. The
data are shown in the attached plot with the mean pressure (± 1 standard
deviation) for each volume (the plot for PBE-D3-smooth can be ignored).

It seems optB86b-vdW, optB88-vdW, and SCAN-RVV10 are reporting unexpected
behavior in the stress tensors. Both optB86b and optB88 seem to be the most
"wrong" with negative pressures across the board and an unusual *increase*
in the pressure as the system's volume is expanded (all systems have the
same number of particles). SCAN-RVV10 at least follows a believable trend
and isn't too far off, so it may just not be appropriate for this system.

We are wondering if the stress tensor calculation is properly implemented
for these non-local vdW functionals, since both PBE-D3 and SCAN-D3 are
producing believable trends.

For reference, I have included the input files for the 3 problematic
functionals I mentioned for the volumes corresponding to V_exp in the
attached plots. The versions used for each of those runs are listed below:

   - optB86b-vdW: CP2K-8.2
   - optB88-vdW: CP2K-6.1
   - SCAN-RVV10: CP2K-2022.2

Any help or insight is appreciated!