[CP2K-user] [CP2K:16945] Ar Basis sets

Matthew Graneri mhvg1994 at gmail.com
Wed May 11 07:15:36 UTC 2022

Hi there,

I was wondering if I could get some advice/help on running an AIMD
calculation to run? I've *no* experience with AIMD, MD, or any plane wave
calculations (my only experience is with ab initio methods in ORCA and
Gaussian), and no one else in my department has any experience with AIMD
calculations, either... I've finally gotten to the stage where I can start
an AIMD calculation (it's taken weeks to get to this stage!), but I have
come across a persistent issue which I do not have the expertise to solve.

Essentially, I want to simulate my molecular system in a solid argon
matrix, and calculate IR spectra to compare with experiment. So far, I've
optimised my cutoff/rel_cutoff values, gotten my input files sorted, gotten
CP2K installed installed on our local HPC, and tested that it works for a
few of the test systems provided for the IR/RAMAN and HFX tutorials.

Based on results from a recent study, I want to use B3LYP with a double
zeta basis set, which I am very well aware will take a long time to
complete... According to the CP2K website (and my own testing), it looks
like using either the ADMM or RI approximations might speed up this
calculation to a rate which will be acceptable for our HPC. The problem is
that I cannot find any *matching* primary, potential and auxiliary basis
sets for argon. In fact, I cannot find any auxiliary basis sets for argon
at all.

Is this because argon doesn't require an aux basis set for RI or ADMM? Does
anyone know of any basis set families which I could use for my
calculations? They'd need to be of at least double zeta quality, and
include basis sets for H, C, N, S and Ar.

Also, three unrelated questions (but things which I've been confused/unsure
about when trying to learn all this stuff):

   1. what's the difference between the 'global' and 'massive' thermostats?
   The academic (yes, there's only one) at my university who has experience
   with MD had never seen those terms before, so I'm not sure how they differ.
   2. Are the cutoff/rel_cutoff values basis set dependent? As in, if I
   swap the basis sets I ran my testing on based on advice I get here, would I
   need to rerun my testing for the new basis set, or could I use the values I
   determined using the original basis sets?
   3. Are there any 'rules of thumb' as to how big a cell should be used
   for a system like mine? Essentially, I've embedded my molecule in a crystal
   of argon. I'm *not* trying to extrapolate this to a larger crystal
   structure (I think that means it's 'non periodic'?)

I'd really appreciate any help I can get with this; I'm very much out of my
depth here...

Thanks in advance!

Matthew~