[CP2K-user] [CP2K:17198] Transition metal oxide SCF Convergence

Nicholas Winner nwinner at berkeley.edu
Tue Jun 21 16:03:15 UTC 2022

Some suggestions for what to try:

(1) Precision
 Your value of EPS_PGF_ORB is too large and should be substantially
decreased. I think the default value is too large for a lot of systems.
Most numerical issues stem from the overlap matrix precision in my opinion.
Set it to something like 1e-16 and see what happens. That might be too
fine, but its not very much extra computational cost and it can make a huge
difference.

(2) Try these settings

&OT
 algorithm irac # do not enforce strict orthogonality
 minimizer cg # safer than DIIS, though often its too safe and makes the
calculation slow.
 linesearch 2pnt # 3pnt is not compatible with irac+rotation
 rotation true # allow for subspace rotations (fractional occupations)
 preconditioner full_single_inverse # full_all not compatible with rotations
&end

If that doesn't work, decrease STEPSIZE in &OT to be 0.05

Hope that helps,
Nick