[CP2K-user] [CP2K:17185] Re: Problem with 2nd generation CPMD

Marcella Iannuzzi marci.akira at gmail.com
Thu Jun 16 10:23:19 UTC 2022

As you may have read in previous works, to run SGCPMD a preliminary study
is needed to set the proper GAMMA and NOISY_GAMMA parameters, which allow
for the conservation of energy, for a Gaussian distribution of the error in
the forces, and for a correct equipartition of the kinetic energy among the
degrees of freedom.
Moreover the parameters to tune the convergence of the electronic structure
at each MD step need also to be properly adjusted to the system.
This means that a series of preliminary simulations are needed, before the
production runs are started.

This said, my suggestions are the following:
- Always start sgcpmd from a well converged wfn obtained along a standard
BOMD run with diagonalisation and smearing
-  Let the first steps run on many scf iterations if needed, i.e., set
MAX_SCF large enough
-  But use a relative large eps_scf. The wfn is not going to be optimised
as in the BOMD, energy convergence  around 10^-5 is desirable
- Use FULL_ALL preconditioner + ASPC
- Use a small time step
- Tune properly GAMMA and NOISY_GAMMA
- Monitor the conservation of energy and the temperature per kind or per
region : TEMP_KIND

Regards
Marcella