[CP2K-user] [CP2K:17173] Problem with 2nd generation CPMD

Onofrio Tau onofriotau at gmail.com
Wed Jun 15 13:20:19 UTC 2022

Dear CP2K community,

I'm new to CP2K and I'm trying to set up a second-generation Car-Parrinello
(SGCP) MD simulation. I have started with a geometrically optimized system
of toluene adsorbed on a 3-layer Cu slab (8x6). I would to know what
sections/keywords in the input file must be used to correctly set up a
SGCPMD simulation and, possibly, the best settings to improve the speed of
such simulations since I have not found any related tutorial (but only few
things in the cp2k google group).
If I well understood, it has to be turn on the Langevin dynamics section in
combination with the OT method. For example:

&FORCE_EVAL
  &DFT
    &QS
      METHOD GPW
      EXTRAPOLATION ASPC
      EXTRAPOLATION_ORDER 3
      EPS_DEFAULT 1.0E-10
    &END QS
    &SCF
      &OT
        PRECONDITIONER FULL_SINGLE_INVERSE   ! or FULL_KINETIC
        MINIMIZER DIIS
        N_DIIS 7
      &END OT
      &OUTER_SCF
        MAX_SCF 3
        EPS_SCF 1.0E-05
      &END OUTER_SCF
    &END SCF
  &END DFT
&END FORCE_EVAL

&MOTION
  &MD
    ENSEMBLE LANGEVIN
    &LANGEVIN
      GAMMA 0.001
    &END LANGEVIN
  &END MD
&END MOTION

Is it correct? To follow what I just mentioned, I prepared an input file
(attached below) based on sections/keywords defined just above and I got
from the output file (attached below) only
    *"Leaving inner SCF loop after reaching   200 steps" *
(200 steps because I set MAX_SCF 200)
resulting in a very bad convergence.
As a result, it seems that I have not been running any SGCPMD simulation
but a simple bad BOMD. Am I missing something?
How can I correctly set up my input file for SGCPMD?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Onofrio