[CP2K-user] [CP2K:17103] Comparison between set initial temperature and temperature calculated from velocities

mto 22w1045k at shinshu-u.ac.jp
Thu Jun 9 04:09:05 UTC 2022

Dear cp2k users,

I wanted to conduct a comparison and performed ab initio molecular dynamics
(MD) simulations with an imposed initial temperature of 300 K. I then
calculated the temperature from the velocities at the 0th step, but this
value was 297K, which does not match with the temperature I set. I
calculated the latter temperature (297K) from '0step_velocities.xyz' which
is attached on this message. Both of them must be the same because the 0th
step velocities are determined by the initial temperature. (The equation I
used: 1/2m*v^2 = 3/2kb*T )
Does anyone know why there is a difference in temperatures?

Thank you in advance,
Matsuo