[CP2K-user] [CP2K:17313] Re: MOF cell optimization

Quentin Pessemesse q.pessemesse at gmail.com
Wed Jul 13 07:49:28 UTC 2022

Hello,
I am not a VASP expert but from your input files, there are differences
between the reported level of theory and the one you are using.

1. BASIS_SET DZVP-MOLOPT-SR-GTH
You are using a gaussian-plane-wave (GPW) scheme with the MOLOPT basis set
and plane waves with a cutoff at 400 Ry while the authors report using a
plane-wave only scheme with a cutoff at 500 Ry.
2. SCHEME MONKHORST-PACK  1  1  6
You are sampling the Brillouin zone with a 1 x 1 x 6 grid, while the
authors report using a 4 x 4 x 1 grid. I believe this can make a large
difference as you are sampling the Brillouin zone very differently.
3. PARAMETER_FILE_NAME dftd3.dat
You are using the D3 dispersion correction while authors use the D2
correction.
4. METHOD  FERMI_DIRAC
You are using Fermi smearing which the authors do not report using.
5. MULTIPLICITY  2
You are setting the spin multiplicity in your calculations while I believe
the spin multiplicity is relaxed by default in VASP spin-polarized
calculations. You set a multiplicity of 2 which may not be the ground state
of your system, especially if more than 1 Cu atom is Cu(II).

I would say points 2 & 5 are most likely responsible for your issue, but
maybe someone with more expertise in VASP can weigh in.

Take care,
Quentin PESSEMESSE
Univ Lyon / ETH Zurich