[CP2K-user] [CP2K:16474] Re: Prevent Cell Geometry/Vectors From Changing

fabia...@gmail.com fabianducry at gmail.com
Thu Jan 20 12:20:26 UTC 2022

Hi Lenard,

in cp2k there are two types of optimizations, GEO_OPT and CELL_OPT. In
GEO_OPT the lattice vectors are fixed and only the atomic positions are
optimized. In a CELL_OPT both the lattice vactors and the atomic positions
can be relaxed simultaneously.

So if you don't want the box to change you need
RUN_TYPE GEO_OPT
and  the
&MOTION
  &GEO_OPT
  &END
&END
section.

If the SCF does not converge the forces (and pressure) are probably very
bad and thus the optimizer (e.g. BFGS) takes unreasonable steps. If the SCF
does not converge you should probably stop the simulation and improve SCF
stability.

Cheers,
Fabian