[CP2K-user] [CP2K:16605] Adding core density to valence density in CUBE file

Eugene roginovicci at gmail.com
Wed Feb 16 14:44:19 UTC 2022

Hi,
I'm trying to do a BADER analysis which requre all electron density, but
cp2k generate electronic density to CUBE file. There is fhi98 project
database with core densities, which can be used.
I can read the core densities (rho_core) it's simple radial function, then
I integrate the density in radial coordinates (having Jacobian in spherical
coordinates in mind) and the integral is exactly a core charge. My testing
system is V2O5 (supercell 2x1x2, unitcell volume = 5107.96 a.u.) so for O
atom I have calculated core charge equivalent to 2. So I would expect the
3d integration of charge density in cartesian coordinates readed from CUBE
file should give the value equivalent to whole valence charge. In my case
it will be 16*13 = 208 (13 electrons on 16 V atoms) and 40*6 = 240 (6
electrons on 40 O), 448 in total. But what I have is value = 984.45.
It is even more surprisely that in case of bigger superscell I have a lower
integral density value.
So the question is what kind of density is written in CUBE file? And why
intergral didn't equivalent to total valence charge.

Thank you in advance,
Eugene