[CP2K-user] [CP2K:16580] Basis Set Combination for Oxygen Atoms in Solid and Gas Phase

john el berch johnelberch at gmail.com
Fri Feb 11 00:55:01 UTC 2022

Hello CP2K users,

Hope this post finds you well. I am currently studying the adsorption of
different molecules on metal oxides. From previous entrances, I have seen
that Short Range (SR) Molopt Basis sets are recommended for oxygen atoms in
condensed phase systems (i.e. in oxides). Nonetheless, these SR basis sets
might not be well suited for representing oxygen atoms in oxygen-containing
gaseous adsorbates. For this case, would it be reasonable to use a more
complete basis set just for the adsorbate’s oxygen atoms while maintaining
the SR basis set for the oxygen atoms in the solid phase? This would be set
up through the FORCE_EVAL/SUBSYS/KIND section, for instance:

    &KIND O1 #Oxygen atoms in the adsorbate molecule

      ELEMENT   O

      BASIS_SET DZVP-MOLOPT-GTH-q6

              POTENTIAL GTH-PBE-q6

    &END KIND