[CP2K-user] [CP2K:16551] Re: cell optimization strange values of the a, b, c vectors

Marcella Iannuzzi marci.akira at gmail.com
Mon Feb 7 10:03:50 UTC 2022

Dear Jonathan,

You are simulating a bulk system, not a  (111) surface.
In order to expose a surface, you should add vacuum in the direction
orthogonal to the surface you want to expose, i.e., you should use a slab
model.
The size 3x2x1 is rather small and probably not suitable to simulate the
Pd(111) surface. Consider to increase the system size or use k-points.
Even if you do so, you can expect a relaxation of the topmost layers, but
not a contraction in the lateral directions.

Regards
Marcella

On Monday, February 7, 2022 at 8:59:00 AM UTC+1 jonathan.... at gmail.com