[CP2K-user] [CP2K:16841] Re: xTB descrepancy between CP2K and DFTB+

Jürg Hutter hutter at chem.uzh.ch
Tue Apr 12 08:58:29 UTC 2022

Hi

I did some calculations for your system with CP2K and I get a converged volume
of 1845. For this I did:

EPS_DEFAULT 1.0E-12
EPS_SCF 1.0E-7

&MOTION
  &CELL_OPT
    TYPE GEO_OPT
    OPTIMIZER BFGS
    MAX_DR    1.0E-04
    MAX_FORCE 1.0E-05
    RMS_DR    1.0E-04
    RMS_FORCE 1.0E-05
    MAX_ITER 100
  &END
  &GEO_OPT
    OPTIMIZER BFGS
    MAX_DR    1.0E-04
    MAX_FORCE 1.0E-05
    RMS_DR    1.0E-04
    RMS_FORCE 1.0E-05
    MAX_ITER 50
  &END
&END

I did some additional checks on parameters, but there was no change compared
to the defaults.

This points to a difference of ca. 55 A3 wrt to the DFTB+ results (1900). This is a difference
of 2.5% in volume or ca. 1 % in cell length.

As said in the last post, if you want to investigate further you have to look into the
results of both codes at identical structures.
Compare energies (total, and partial), forces and stress.

regards

Juerg Hutter