[CP2K-user] [CP2K:16137] Cell Optimization Not Converged for Copper

Fabian Ducry fabianducry at gmail.com
Thu Oct 28 09:25:27 UTC 2021

Hi Geng,

The plane wave basis depends on the size of the unit cell. Therefore, a
change of the cell dimensions corresponds to a change of basis. If the
energy difference that comes from this change of basis is large the
optimizer cannot converge. With CELL_REF you prevent this issue by
fixing the basis (which is now independent of the volume of the
simulation domain).

By the way, you are confusing the cell optimization and SCF: The SCF is
the energy minimization at each step of the cell optimization (and this
always converged). Only the cell optimization did not converge.

Regarding the EPS_SCF: a tighter value can lower the number of cell
optimization steps, but each step will be more expensive. You have to
test it yourself.

Cheers,

Fabian