[CP2K-user] [CP2K:16243] Improve extrapolation between relaxation steps?

Nicholas Winner nwinner at berkeley.edu
Tue Nov 16 17:58:59 UTC 2021

Hello all,

When I run a relaxation for a complex system, e.g. in my case a defective
transition metal oxide with hybrid dft on a modest ~200 atom supercell,
each SCF still takes quite a long time to converge.

I originally came from vasp before switching to cp2k, and it in that code,
my experience was that once the first scf loop converged, the next
relaxation step would take much less time, and so on until the last few
steps converged in just a few iterations. This isn't my experience with
CP2K though. Running CG on my most recent relaxation I still find that
after more than 20 relaxation steps, 40-50 scf steps are required to
achieve convergence.

Is this something that I could improve by changing certain settings? Below
is the relevant info for my input file. Please note that I understand
FULL_KINETIC and CG might lead to slower convergence than FULL_ALL + DIIS,
but my question lies in why convergence is not appreciably speeding up
rather than its absolute speed.

-Nick

&DFT

                BASIS_SET_FILE_NAME BASIS_MOLOPT