[CP2K-user] [CP2K:16224] Re: How to do metadynamics with CV1 and CV2 and set up restraint using CV3 in cp2k?

Matt D ucecmtd at gmail.com
Fri Nov 12 21:43:10 UTC 2021

Hi Hongxia,

I guess because you have set DeltaT to 50000K... I'm not surprised the
atoms fly apart in this case.

If this is your first metadynamics run, I'd recommend running an unbiased
simulation first (i.e. not WELL_TEMPERED and no DELTA_T set) and see how
the CV evolves. You can then set the width of the Gaussians (SCALE)
according to variations in the value of the CV with time, for example by
taking the standard deviation of the CV and setting this to be SCALE. Once
you have set an appropriately sized gaussian, you can then introduce the
bias. The bias factor is given by (T+deltaT)/T. Given 298K is your starting
temperature and you were using 50000 as deltaT, your bias factor is rather
large. A good initial range might be somewhere in the region of 5 or 10 for
the bias factor, so deltaT around 1000 - 2000 K. Of course this is system
dependent so you need to try several values, the higher the value the more
of free-energy space you will explore, though you want to make sure it's
comparable to the free energy barriers you want to traverse to avoid
getting situations where you explode the simulation as you have done by
using 50000K for deltaT.

Best wishes,
Matt