[CP2K-user] [CP2K:16199] Re: memory leak

Matt D ucecmtd at gmail.com
Mon Nov 8 11:58:14 UTC 2021

Hi Daria,

I've recently encountered this problem elsewhere. The fix in this case was
to recompile with OpenMPI using a GNU compiler rather than IntelMPI and an
intel compiler.

I'm not 100% sure about the technical details as this was done by the
support services but it seemed to work. They also used the leak sanitizer
tool to test things and this can be found in the cp2k documentation.

Finally I'd check whether it is a leak or simply a high memory requirement
job. If it's the former, using the above fix worked for us. However with
the latter, the memory consumption with job time should plateau rather than
be constantly increasing. You can check to see by first using only a few
processors per node to increase the maximum memory capacity and allowing
jobs to run for at least a few minutes. If you then set a short WALLTIME in
cp2k of just a few minutes, it should then terminate properly and tell you
the maximum memory consumption at the end. If you systematically increase
the WALLTIME you can then evaluate how the max memory changes with
WALLTIME. If it is constantly increasing then it is a leak, if not using
less cores per node is the best solution.

Best wishes,
Matt