[CP2K-user] [CP2K:16174] Keyword explanation: ON_THE_FLY_LOC

Thomas Kühne tkuehne at gmail.com
Wed Nov 3 09:58:02 UTC 2021

Dear Nick,

ON_THE_FLY_LOC is the implementation of the following paper:
https://aip.scitation.org/doi/full/10.1063/1.2828507 <https://aip.scitation.org/doi/full/10.1063/1.2828507>
In the spirit of previous works of Thomas, Iftimie and Tuckerman,
the orbital coefficient matrix of sought to be localized on-the-fly
during the simulation. Contrary to the density matrix P, C is much
more compact (MxN vs. MxM) but less sparse. This does not
improve the stability/numerical stability, I would even argue quite
the contrary. It’s one step towards efficient linear-scaling. In the
limit of the corresponding localized orbitals MAY be equivalent to
MLWF, but I conjecture in a numerical calculation there should be
differences.
To my understanding there is no specific reason for the combination
with IRAC, except for that this had been implemented by the very
same persons around the very same time:
https://aip.scitation.org/doi/full/10.1063/1.2841077 <https://aip.scitation.org/doi/full/10.1063/1.2841077>

Cheers,
Thomas

> Am 03.11.2021 um 00:21 schrieb Nicholas Winner <nwinner at berkeley.edu>:
>
> Would anybody well versed in CP2K be able to provide a brief explanation of the ON_THE_FLY_LOC keyword, found inside the OT section.
>
> It says that it performs on the fly localization of the MOs, but nothing more. Does it help with convergence and/or numerical stability? It is also listed as only being compatible with the IRAC method, rather than the strict orthogonality algorithm.
>
> Any explanation would be appreciated.
>
> Best,
> -Nick

Thomas D. Kühne