[CP2K-user] [CP2K:14980] Problem about the analytical stress tensor for meta-GGA functionals in CP2K 8.1

Tianhua Wang nju... at gmail.com
Tue Mar 30 10:56:39 UTC 2021

Dear Prof. Hutter,
  Thank you very much for your early reply and detailed guidance. Following
your guidance, I tried my best to do a series of additional calculations to
find out the possible problems. For the cell optimizations for cassiterite
(SnO2), I tested the performance of SCAN functional combining with
different basis sets and GTH pseudopotentials, as well as the effect of the
cutoff of the electronic density. Besides, the lattice parameters of
cassiterite were also optimized by using TPSS functional (combining with
GTH-PBE pseudopotentials). These results, together with the results in my
original letter, are tabulated in Table 1 in the *Supplementary Materials*
attached. An example of my input file can be found in my original letter.
It seems that basis sets and cutoff values have little influence on the
results, whereas the effect of pseudopotentials is significant. The
calculations using SCAN functional with GTH-SCAN pseudopotentials
underestimated the volumes with relatively large errors, but the
calculations using SCAN functional with GTH-PBE pseudopotentials turned to
overestimate the volumes with smaller errors. If this problem really can be
attributed to the pseudopotentials, would it be possible to obtain better
results by improving the quality of pseudopotentials? Besides, I noticed
that in the paper proposing r2SCAN functional by John P. Perdew’s group
(Furness et al., 2020, *J. Phys. Chem. Lett.*), they mentioned that “the
SCAN exchange-correlation potential for an atom diverges in the tail of the
density, making pseudopotential construction difficult.” Will this defect
influence the quality of GTH-SCAN pseudopotentials?
  The analytic stress tensors derived from the geometry optimizations for
cassiterite (using the experimental lattice parameters in Bolzan et al.
(1997, *Acta Cryst. B*)) are tabulated in Table 2 in the *Supplementary
Materials* attached. The input file for the calculation at the SCAN/TZVP
level is attached for reference. These results confirm that the
calculations using SCAN functional with GTH-SCAN pseudopotentials tend to
underestimate the volumes whereas the calculations using SCAN functional
with GTH-PBE pseudopotentials show the reverse.
  However, on the other hand, in my another series of additional
calculations for the cell optimization for rutile (TiO2), SCAN functional
with GTH-SCAN pseudopotentials reproduced its lattice parameters very well,
but there were small errors in the calculated interaxial angles. The
optimized lattice parameters are tabulated in Table 3 in the *Supplementary
Materials* attached. I tested the system of rutile because it had similar
structure with cassiterite, i.e., tetragonal system, 4/*mmm* crystal class
and *P*4(2)/*mnm* space group. The model of rutile was a supercell
consisting of 2×2×4 unit cells, which was constructed based on the
single-crystal X-ray diffraction data (Swope et al., 1995, *Am. Mineral.*).
The input files used are similar to those for the cell optimizations for
cassiterite. I am confused about the different performance of SCAN
functional between the cell optimizations for cassiterite and rutile. What
I can only think of is that the system of rutile has higher electron
density than cassiterite and liquid water, and SCAN functional may be
sensitive to electron density.
  Last but not the least, I am sorry to say that I can not do more FPMD
simulations of liquid water because of the relatively low computational
efficiency of cp2k-8.1-Linux-x86_64.ssmp. However, it is very important to
give a good description of aqueous solutions. I am wondering if these tests
can be helpful for understanding the overestimation of water density at
ambient conditions when using SCAN functional?
  Thank you for your time and I am looking forward to your reply.
Sincerely,
Tianhua Wang

在2021年3月24日星期三 UTC+8 下午7:07:47<jgh> 写道: