[CP2K-user] An error I met when I run MD tasks

汤羽 tangshua... at gmail.com
Fri Mar 19 14:12:24 UTC 2021

Dear cp2k users and developers,
        When I use cp2k.popt to run  MD tasks, It always give me this
error"Cholesky decomposition failed. Matrix ill conditioned ? ". Can you
give me a suggestion on how to solve this error. The input and output files
are listed as follow. I use centos 8.3 and cp2k-8.1.
    Thank you in advance.

The follow is output file:
    DBCSR| CPU Multiplication driver
   XSMM
 DBCSR| Multrec recursion limit
  512
 DBCSR| Multiplication stack size
 1000
 DBCSR| Maximum elements for images
UNLIMITED
 DBCSR| Multiplicative factor virtual images
   1
 DBCSR| Use multiplication densification
 DBCSR| Multiplication size stacks
   3
 DBCSR| Use memory pool for CPU allocation
 DBCSR| Number of 3D layers
 SINGLE
 DBCSR| Use MPI memory allocation
 DBCSR| Use RMA algorithm
 DBCSR| Use Communication thread
 DBCSR| Communication thread load
   87
 DBCSR| MPI: My node id
    0
 DBCSR| MPI: Number of nodes
  12
 DBCSR| OMP: Current number of threads
   1
 DBCSR| OMP: Max number of threads
   1
 DBCSR| Split modifier for TAS multiplication algorithm
1.0E+00

  **** **** ******  **  PROGRAM STARTED AT               2021-03-19
22:03:08.501
 ***** ** ***  *** **   PROGRAM STARTED ON
 localhost.localdomain
 **    ****   ******    PROGRAM STARTED BY
root
 ***** **    ** ** **   PROGRAM PROCESS ID
 64904
  **** **  *******  **  PROGRAM STARTED IN
 /tangshuai/inputfile/water_AIMD

 CP2K| version string:                                          CP2K
version 8.1
 CP2K| source code revision number:
git:0b61f2f
 CP2K| cp2kflags: omp libint fftw3 libxc elpa parallel mpi3 scalapack xsmm
plume
 CP2K|            d2 spglib mkl libvori libbqb
 CP2K| is freely available from
https://www.cp2k.org/
 CP2K| Program compiled at            2021年 03月 18日 星期四 20:58:14 CST
 CP2K| Program compiled on
 localhost.localdomain
 CP2K| Program compiled for
local
 CP2K| Data directory path
/tangshuai/cp2k-8.1/date
 CP2K| Input file name
spc216.inp

 GLOBAL| Force Environment number
    1
 GLOBAL| Basis set file name
 BASIS_SET
 GLOBAL| Potential file name
 POTENTIAL
 GLOBAL| MM Potential file name
 MM_POTENTIAL
 GLOBAL| Coordinate file name
__STD_INPUT__
 GLOBAL| Method name
CP2K
 GLOBAL| Project name
 spc216
 GLOBAL| Preferred FFT library
 FFTW3
 GLOBAL| Preferred diagonalization lib.
 ELPA
 GLOBAL| Run type
   MD
 GLOBAL| All-to-all communication in single precision
 GLOBAL| FFTs using library dependent lengths
 GLOBAL| Global print level
  LOW
 GLOBAL| MPI I/O enabled
 GLOBAL| Total number of message passing processes
  12
 GLOBAL| Number of threads for this process
    1
 GLOBAL| This output is from process
   0
 GLOBAL| CPU model name          Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU           X5650  @
2.67GHz
 GLOBAL| CPUID
   0
 GLOBAL| Compiled for CPUID
 1000

 MEMORY| system memory details [Kb]
 MEMORY|                        rank 0           min           max
 average
 MEMORY| MemTotal             16381804      16381804      16381804
16381804
 MEMORY| MemFree               9823960       9823960       9823960
 9823960
 MEMORY| Buffers                  2540          2540          2540
2540
 MEMORY| Cached                2972888       2972888       2972888
 2972888
 MEMORY| Slab                   561124        561124        561124
561124
 MEMORY| SReclaimable           186368        186368        186368
186368
 MEMORY| MemLikelyFree        12985756      12985756      12985756
12985756

 GENERATE|  Preliminary Number of Bonds generated:
   0
 GENERATE|  Achieved consistency in connectivity generation.

 *** WARNING in qs_kind_types.F:2026 :: Information provided in the input
***
 *** file regarding BASIS for KIND <O> will be ignored!
 ***

 *** WARNING in qs_kind_types.F:2026 :: Information provided in the input
***
 *** file regarding BASIS for KIND <H> will be ignored!
 ***

                  #####   #####        #          ####### ######
                 #     # #     #      #              #    #     #
                 #     # #           #    ##   ##    #    #     #
                 #     #  #####     #      ## ##     #    ######
                 #   # #       #   #        ###      #    #     #
                 #    #  #     #  #        ## ##     #    #     #
                  #### #  #####  #        ##   ##    #    ######

                                 Version 1.0
                            J. Hutter and A. Hehn

 EWALD| Summation is done by:
 SPME
 EWALD| Alpha parameter [       ANGSTROM^-1]
1.8897
 EWALD| Real Space Cutoff [          ANGSTROM]
1.7854
 EWALD| G-space max. Miller index                        125       125
 125
 EWALD| Spline interpolation order
   6

 TOTAL NUMBERS AND MAXIMUM NUMBERS

  Total number of            - Atomic kinds:
   2
                             - Atoms:
  648
                             - Shell sets:
1296
                             - Shells:
1296
                             - Primitive Cartesian functions:
 9504
                             - Cartesian basis functions:
 1728
                             - Spherical basis functions:
 1728

  Maximum angular momentum of the orbital basis functions:
   1

 SCF PARAMETERS         Density guess:
ATOMIC

                        max_scf:
 200
                        max_scf_history:
   0
                        max_diis:
    4

                        eps_scf:
1.00E-05
                        eps_scf_history:
0.00E+00
                        eps_diis:
 1.00E-01
                        eps_eigval:
 1.00E-05

                        level_shift [a.u.]:
 0.00

                        No outer SCF

 MD_PAR| Molecular dynamics protocol (MD input parameters)
 MD_PAR| Ensemble type
 NVT
 MD_PAR| Number of time steps
  200
 MD_PAR| Time step [fs]
 1.000000
 MD_PAR| Temperature [K]
298.150000
 MD_PAR| Temperature tolerance [K]
0.000000
 MD_PAR| Print MD information every                                    1
step(s)
 MD_PAR| File type   Print frequency [steps]                          File
names
 MD_PAR| Coordinates          1
 spc216-pos-1.xyz
 MD_PAR| Velocities           1
 spc216-vel-1.xyz
 MD_PAR| Energies             1
spc216-1.ener
 MD_PAR| Dump                10
 spc216-1.restart

    6

    3
 DOF| Degrees of freedom
1941

 DOF| Restraints information
 DOF| Number of intramolecular restraints
    0
 DOF| Number of intermolecular restraints
    0

 THERMOSTAT| Thermostat information for PARTICLES
 THERMOSTAT| Type of thermostat            Canonical Sampling/Velocity
Rescaling
 THERMOSTAT| CSVR time constant [fs]
200.000000
 THERMOSTAT| Initial kinetic energy
 0.000000000000E+00
 THERMOSTAT| End of thermostat information for PARTICLES

 MD_VEL| Velocities initialization
 MD_VEL| Initial temperature [K]
298.150000
 MD_VEL| COM velocity            -0.0000000000     0.0000000000
-0.0000000000

 Number of electrons:
 1728
 Number of occupied orbitals:
  864
 Number of molecular orbitals:
 864

 Number of orbital functions:
 1728
 Number of independent orbital functions:
 1728

 Extrapolation method: initial_guess

 SCF WAVEFUNCTION OPTIMIZATION

  ----------------------------------- OT
---------------------------------------
  Minimizer      : DIIS                : direct inversion
                                         in the iterative subspace
                                         using   7 DIIS vectors
                                         safer DIIS on
  Preconditioner : FULL_SINGLE_INVERSE : inversion of
                                         H + eS -
2*(Sc)(c^T*H*c+const)(Sc)^T
  Precond_solver : DEFAULT
  stepsize       :    0.08000000                  energy_gap     :
0.08000000
  eps_taylor     :   0.10000E-15                  max_taylor     :
   4
  ----------------------------------- OT
---------------------------------------

  Step     Update method      Time    Convergence         Total energy
Change

 *   ___
   *
 *  /   \
    *
 * [ABORT]
   *
 *  \___/         Cholesky decomposition failed. Matrix ill conditioned ?
    *
 *    |
    *
 *  O/|