[CP2K-user] Energy Fluctuations in Geometry Optimization

fa...@gmail.com fabia... at gmail.com
Mon Mar 1 10:59:51 UTC 2021

Hi Xiao,

As Lenard pointed out your SCF does not converge, consequently the forces
are not converged and BFGS cannot optimize the structure.
You should adjust a few parameters:
MAX_SCF 200 ! change if needed to make sure SCF is really converged
ELECTRONIC_TEMPERATURE     2000 ! large smearing helps convergence. If
needed you can reduce this once the optimization is converged and restart
ALPHA 0.01 !  you can play with this but it probably needs to be << 0.1

To speed up the first few steps of geometry optimization you could consider
reducing the k-point grid to something like

    SCHEME  MONKHORST-PACK  2  3  1
    !FULL_GRID  .TRUE.

Once the the geometry is more reasonable you can switch back the the more
accurate k-point sampling.

Cheers,
Fabian