[CP2K-user] [CP2K:15601] Proper use of ri_hfx.F module

hut... at chem.uzh.ch hut... at chem.uzh.ch
Tue Jun 22 10:19:58 UTC 2021

Hi

RI-HFX doesn't bring you a scaling advantage over the original
code (unlike RI-MP2 or RI-RPA). For very large systems the original
code has a better screening behavior and should be faster.
For small and medium system it all depends on the basis sets.
Large basis sets and diffuse primitives are better handled by
the RI-HFX code. This means ADMM (small basis!) is better for the
original code. In addition, I don't know if the automatic basis
set generated for RI is taking the ADMM basis or the original basis
as starting point (you can check in the output).
Positive points for RI-HFX are memory usage (number of ERI calculated and
stored, no replicated density and Fock matrices in parallel runs).
Systems that only need a few SCF iterations, e.g. during MD are also
better for RI-HFX. GPU usage is also on the plus side for RI-HFX, although
the tensor dbcsr code is not yet performing optimal.

best regards

Juerg
Juerg Hutter                         Phone : ++41 44 635 4491
Institut für Chemie C                FAX   : ++41 44 635 6838
Universität Zürich                   E-mail: hut... at chem.uzh.ch
Winterthurerstrasse 190
CH-8057 Zürich, Switzerland