[CP2K-user] how to choose the size of the cell correctly?

Travis polla... at gmail.com
Sun Jan 31 22:45:44 UTC 2021

Hi,

Switch to non-periodic boundaries (PERIODIC NONE in both &CELL and &POISSON
sections, use the WAVELET solver in &POISSON, and add

&CENTER_COORDINATES
&END CENTER_COORDINATES

to &TOPOLOGY section. The molecule will be default centered at L/2 where L
is the box length in a given direction. Add a 6 Angstrom buffer in your
&CELL section between the molecule and the box edge on each side: top,
bottom, left, right, front, back. If you need to increase the buffer
distance, you'll see a warning printed at each SCF iteration that says the
electron density isn't close enough to zero at the box edge. Just increase
your buffer in 1 Angstrom increments until the error no longer shows up.
You don't want to immediately set the box size to be very large as the
vacuum is filled with plane waves and so adds considerable computational
expense. You can have different size a, b, and c lattice vectors for such a
calculation.

-T