[CP2K-user] Co(111) Geometry optimization with kpoints

fa...@gmail.com fabia... at gmail.com
Tue Jan 19 14:11:14 UTC 2021

Hi Manuel,

According to the manuel the wavelet solver supports *"slab-boundary
conditions (but only PERIODIC XZ)." *You are correct to change the k-point
grid accordingly.

To avoid the warning you mentioned need to increase the cell length in the
y-direction.

To reduce the number of scf iterations you can optimize the &MIXING
section, in particular NBUFFER
<https://manual.cp2k.org/cp2k-8_1-branch/CP2K_INPUT/FORCE_EVAL/DFT/SCF/MIXING.html#NBUFFER>
and ALPHA
<https://manual.cp2k.org/cp2k-8_1-branch/CP2K_INPUT/FORCE_EVAL/DFT/SCF/MIXING.html#ALPHA>.
If you don't expect the multiplicity to change during MD you can disable
RELAX_MULTIPLICITY to further improve scf convergence. And lastly you can
tune the EXTRAPOLATION.
<https://manual.cp2k.org/cp2k-8_1-branch/CP2K_INPUT/FORCE_EVAL/DFT/QS.html#EXTRAPOLATION>

Cheers,
Fabian