[CP2K-user] [CP2K:16401] what is the unit for IR intensity using normal mode analysis in cp2k?

Fangyong Yan fyyan2019 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 22 04:54:58 UTC 2021

Dear Professor Hutter and your group members,

I checked the source code, and found IR intensity is equal to
SQRT(DOT_PRODUCT(D_deriv,
D_deriv)). Based on Darling and Schlegel's paper, the IR intensity is
proportional to (d(mu)/dQ)^2. So does it mean the IR intensity should
be DOT_PRODUCT(D_deriv,
D_deriv), not SQRT(DOT_PRODUCT(D_deriv, D_deriv))? (Is this a mistake??)

Here I attach Darling and Schlegel's paper.

The source code is vibrational_analysis.F,

                  IF (calc_intens) THEN

                     D_deriv = 0._dp

                     DO j = 1, nvib

                        D_deriv(:) = D_deriv(:) + dip_deriv(:, j)*Hint2(j,
i)

                     END DO

                     intensities(i) = SQRT(DOT_PRODUCT(D_deriv, D_deriv))

                  END IF

Thanks ahead for your help, and Merry Christmas!!

Fangyong