[CP2K-user] About XC functionals available

Frederick Stein nwfr... at googlemail.com
Mon Apr 26 12:25:19 UTC 2021

Dear Ivan,

Short answer:
All section names you are referring to are actually functionals from LibXC.
That is why you do not find the respective code in CP2K.
A pseudo potential optimized for a functional of a given class usually
provides reasonable results for other functionals of the same class. For
metals, you should check that separately.

Long answer:
To 1+2) Do you mean by accident the master branch instead of 8.1 ? Your
given functional names are functional names from LibXC. In the recent
trunk, we have added separate sections for the functionals from LibXC. That
is why you will not find the code in CP2K but in LibXC and why these
sections do not work with older versions of CP2K. Some more information
about the the naming scheme of LibXC (also consult the manual of LibXC):
- Names starting with "HYB_" refer to hybrid functionals for which you have
to set up a separate Hartree-Fock section on your own.
- Then, you will find the class of the underlying DFT functional ("LDA",
"GGA", "MGGA").
- Then, the type of functional ("K" for kinetic energy, "X" for
exchange-only, "C" for correlation-only, "XC" for exchange-correlation
functional).
- Finally, the functional name (have a look at the manual of LibXC for you
LibXC distribution in-use).

There is one functional which sticks to the above convention but is not
provided by LibXC but by CP2K (LDA_HOLE_T_C_LR).
Some functionals from LibXC are natively supported by CP2K like LYP (in
LibXC: GGA_C_LYP) or PZ81 (in LibXC: LDA_C_PZ).

To 3+4)
Basically yes, but you should always check the suitability of the
pseudopotentials, especially for metals.

To 5)
Probably yes. In case of doubt, check the references in the LibXC manual (I
do not know these functionals)

To 6)
As stated above, "_C_" tells you that the corresponding functional is just
a correlation functional and you have to add a suitable exchange functional
(or Hartree-Fock). For LDA-based functionals, it is LDA_X (from LibXC) or
XALPHA (from CP2K).

I hope it helps you. If you have more questions, just ask.

Best,
Frederick