[CP2K-user] [CP2K:15238] DFT+U unphysical warning

Krack Matthias (PSI) matthi... at psi.ch
Mon Apr 26 11:22:47 UTC 2021

Nick, I have just committed a change to the current CP2K development (trunk) version which allows for the calculation of forces with the DFT+U method Lowdin and thus for GEO_OPT runs. The analytical stress tensor is still missing and thus CELL_OPT runs are still not possible. You may try it for your cases that did not work with Mulliken. Any feedback is welcome. We plan a CP2K 8.2 release in May which would include this change in case there are no problems.

While the computational overhead for the DFT+U method Mulliken is negligible, Lowdin requires the calculation of S**(1/2) for each new atomic configuration. The calculation of S**(1/2) requires currently a diagonalization of overlap matrix S, which can become a bottleneck for large systems. Moreover, S**(1/2) is a full matrix that does show the sparsity of S.

Matthias