[CP2K-user] [CP2K:15153] Large number of SCFs after optimization step

ASSIDUO Network lenardc... at gmail.com
Tue Apr 20 05:28:18 UTC 2021

I don't see why you need the OUTER_SCF flag on. I did a bulk optimization
for both Au and Cu without using it and got pretty close to literature. My
&SCF parameters were:

    &SCF
      MAX_SCF    200
      EPS_SCF    1E-6
      SCF_GUESS  ATOMIC
      CHOLESKY INVERSE
      ADDED_MOS 100 ! You could lower this
      &DIAGONALIZATION T
        ALGORITHM STANDARD
      &END DIAGONALIZATION
      &SMEAR T
        METHOD FERMI_DIRAC
        ELECTRONIC_TEMPERATURE 300
      &END SMEAR
      &MIXING T
        METHOD BROYDEN_MIXING
        ALPHA 0.01 !You could increase this
        BETA 0.5
        NBUFFER 8
      &END MIXING
    &END SCF

I would also suggest rather using BFGS instead of LBFGS.